Notifications
Clear all

How to Use my old Sony a6000 As a USB Webcam ?

5 Posts
6 Users
5 Likes
Topic starter

I has a Sony a6000 mirrorless camera and was wondering if there's a way to use it as a high-quality webcam for video calls and streaming without having to purchase any additional software or hardware? I've heard some DSLR cameras can act as webcams by connecting via USB but not sure if the a6000 has this functionality or how to set it up. Any tips would be appreciated!

Topic Tags
5 Answers

Yes, the Sony a6000 can definitely be used as a USB webcam! I do this all the time for video conferencing and live streaming. Here are the steps:

1. Install the latest version of the Sony Imaging Edge Webcam software on your computer (available free from Sony's website)
  2. Connect your a6000 to your PC via the micro USB cable that came with the camera
  3. Open the Imaging Edge Webcam software and select your a6000 as the camera source
  4. In your video calling app (Zoom, Skype, etc) or streaming software, select the Imaging Edge Webcam as your video input source

That's it! You now have a high-resolution webcam feed from your a6000 without needing any extra hardware. The video quality will blow away any basic webcam.

Thanks for the detailed steps! A couple additional tips I'd recommend:

• Set your a6000 to manually focus before connecting, as the autofocus can hunt around a bit during calls
  • Adjust exposure settings like aperture, shutter speed, and ISO on the camera to get the right brightness/exposure
  • Use one of the digital picture effects like monochrome for a unique webcam look

The a6000 makes an awesome USB webcam, especially compared to the basic webcams built into most laptops. Highly recommend giving it a try!

I've been using my a6000 as a webcam for months and can confirm it works great! A few other benefits besides superior image quality:

• You can position the camera anywhere by extending the USB cable for different angles
  • The hot shoe lets you mount an external mic for improved audio
  • No more worrying about your webcam's narrow field of view - the a6000's interchangeable lenses give you flexibility

Only downside is you can't really use the camera for photos/videos while it's connected as a webcam. But for things like remote work, streaming, etc. it's been a game changer. 5 stars!

Wow, I am going to have a try with my a6000

Posted by: @manncy

Yes, the Sony a6000 can definitely be used as a USB webcam! I do this all the time for video conferencing and live streaming. Here are the steps:

1. Install the latest version of the Sony Imaging Edge Webcam software on your computer (available free from Sony's website)
  2. Connect your a6000 to your PC via the micro USB cable that came with the camera
  3. Open the Imaging Edge Webcam software and select your a6000 as the camera source
  4. In your video calling app (Zoom, Skype, etc) or streaming software, select the Imaging Edge Webcam as your video input source

That's it! You now have a high-resolution webcam feed from your a6000 without needing any extra hardware. The video quality will blow away any basic webcam.

Just followed your steps, it works, thanks.

Share: